Who are FOMS?
The Friends of Mereworth School (FOMS) is a registered charity that fundraises to support the school in providing resources and the best environment possible for your children’s education. FOMS is run by a committee of enthusiastic parents, who are elected annually at the Annual General Meeting (AGM).
As parents you are all automatically a member of FOMS and are eligible to come along to the AGM, have access to the closed FOMS Facebook group that provides fundraising event information can register your child for relevant activities.
Chairperson: Nicola Gigney
Treasurer: Kathryn Waterton
Secretary: Katrina Palmer
Upcoming events and activities
Each year FOMS aims to put on a number of fundraising activities and events that children and parents can enjoy. These include film nights, discos, mother and fathers day gifts, the Christmas and Summer fairs, second hand uniform sales, adults quiz nights, Easter egg tombola and many more.
Please take a look at our 2019/2020 schedule of events for more information or take a look at our October Newsletter for information on what is coming up over the coming months.
Help can I help with FOMS?
We understand that everyone has varying levels of free time to help with FOMS activities and therefore we have a very flexible approach to enabling you to help as much or as little as you can. We appreciate all your help and would encourage you to get involved in some way or another during the school year.
Some ideas of how to help include the following.
- Stay and assist as a parent helper at a film night or disco
- Sign up for Easyfundraising, to raise money whilst shopping online – with no added cost to you (see below for more information)
- Help your class rep with running a stall at the Christmas or Summer fair
- Talk to us about any particular skills you have. Can you sew? Can you bake? Are you a graphic designer, builder, accountant, copywriter? There are numerous skills that we would help us – what are yours?
- Donate prizes for the fair raffles
- Have you got a business that would like to sponsor some of our events? Let us know! Could your business sponsor our Christmas fair or dog show in the Summer? Anonymous donations from individuals or businesses are of course welcome
To tell us you would like to help, in any capacity, you can either talk to your class rep, join the Facebook Group [Friends of Mereworth School (FOMS)], talk to us at an event or talk to Mrs Beaumont in the School Office. For regular keen helpers we also have a Facebook Messenger group – please ask us if you would like to join – the more, the merrier!
How much do FOMS raise and what does it get spent on?
Each year FOMS raise money and consult with the school Headteacher on where funds raised should be spent. Over recent years money raised by FOMS have paid for:
- touchscreens for classrooms
- projectors for Year R and Year 1 classrooms
- a new projector and screen for the hall
- money for each class budget
- 15 digital cameras
- playground ‘trim trail’ equipment
- electronic school hall black-out blinds
- year 6 leavers hoodies
- and much more!
For more detail on spend and money raised please take a look at our FOMS Spending page.
Easyfundraising – helping fundraise the easy way!
To help us fundraise, an easy way you can help is by buying your usual shop through EasyFundraising! To find out how to do this, follow the instructions below:
- Head to https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mereworthcps/ and join for free.
- Every time you shop online, go to easyfundraising site first to find the site you want and start shopping.
- After you’ve checked out, that retailer will make a donation to your good cause for no extra cost whatsoever!
There are no catches or hidden charges and Mereworth CP School will be really grateful for your donations.
Copy for the FOMS spending webpage to be updated to:
The FOMS held an Annual General Meeting (AGM) on 3rd October 2019 and the following figures were presented for the 2018/19 year.
Fundraising including donations to FOMS during 2018/19 generated a net profit of £11,491.65.
FOMS spent a total of £12,082.97 on the items shown below.
School laptops – £8,829.33
Class budgets – £2,800
PTA UK Membership – £101
Petty cash – £160.98
Fundraising expenses (such as new gazebos) – £191.66
Spend carried over totals £340.24 to cover year 6 leavers hoodies and glowsticks.