Who are FOMS?
The Friends of Mereworth School (FOMS) is a registered charity that fundraises to support the school in providing resources and the best environment possible for your children’s education. FOMS is run by a committee of enthusiastic parents, who are elected annually at the Annual General Meeting (AGM).
As parents you are all automatically a member of FOMS and are eligible to come along to the AGM, have access to the closed FOMS Facebook group that provides fundraising event information can register your child for relevant activities.
Chairperson: Nicola Gigney
Treasurer: Kathryn Waterton
Secretary: Katrina Palmer
FOMS Fundraising Dates for 2020-2021
For fundraising events happening this year please download the flyer below:
October 2020 FOMS Newsletter
This month’s newsletter is a lovely read, with a great recap of everything achieved last year, information about signing up to Easyfundraising, the 100 club and an invitation to get involved in FOMS as a regular or occasional helper, or even the next chairperson!
Mereworth Fundraising – The Big Buzz Cut!
Hello to everyone, I hope you are all safe and well and managing to enjoy the sunshine.
My kids are missing school terribly and I’m sure many others are too. I have been using this time off over Easter to come up with a fundraising proposal and I need to reach out to everyone about it.
Now, if school doesn’t reopen before July, which is looking more and more likely, then FOMs have lost fundraising opportunities which would amount to at least £5000. If social distancing continues to some degree even when schools reopen, we could then stand to lose the same amount again at the latter part of the year.
This concerns me greatly because Miss Lavelle asked FOMs at the start of the year to fundraise specifically to replace all the computers in the ICT suite. This is because all the classroom computers now have obsolete software and need to be replaced urgently with the newer ones currently in the ICT suite. This is a huge financial commitment which needs to be met so that our kids have all the equipment they need when we do return to school.
The initial £5000 which is most definitely being lost equates to just over £20 per child in the school, which doesn’t sound like a lot but I appreciate that some people have several children and families could be experiencing financial difficulties during this time. Therefore, I do not want to be presumptuous in simply asking for donations of this amount. However, when we consider we aren’t spending money on the usual events and I know I can easily lose £20 on the alcohol tombola!
So! I therefore wonder if I do a fundraising event as an individual which all of our parents and teachers can support by means of sponsorship and then can open this up to your families and friends and hope that we can get somewhere near that figure or maybe even higher! I am willing to, wait for it……. SHAVE OFF MY HAIR!! ….in order to help our fabulous school and take pressure off of Miss Lavelle and the staff, at what I’m sure is going to be a testing time trying to get things back to normal.
I have decided on the date of the 19th May, which gives us some time to raise money and spread the word. This date holds a lot of meaning to me and will help me remember phrases like ‘life is too short’ and hopefully help me to remember that my hair will grow back and what’s the worst that can happen?!
So please follow this link or just type Nicola Gigney into the Just Giving page and I will pop up.
I really hope everyone can get behind me on this and thank you all in advance.
Help can I help with FOMS?
We understand that everyone has varying levels of free time to help with FOMS activities and therefore we have a very flexible approach to enabling you to help as much or as little as you can. We appreciate all your help and would encourage you to get involved in some way or another during the school year.
Some ideas of how to help include the following.
- Stay and assist as a parent helper at a film night or disco
- Sign up for Easyfundraising, to raise money whilst shopping online – with no added cost to you (see below for more information)
- Help your class rep with running a stall at the Christmas or Summer fair
- Talk to us about any particular skills you have. Can you sew? Can you bake? Are you a graphic designer, builder, accountant, copywriter? There are numerous skills that we would help us – what are yours?
- Donate prizes for the fair raffles
- Have you got a business that would like to sponsor some of our events? Let us know! Could your business sponsor our Christmas fair or dog show in the Summer? Anonymous donations from individuals or businesses are of course welcome
To tell us you would like to help, in any capacity, you can either talk to your class rep, join the Facebook Group [Friends of Mereworth School (FOMS)], talk to us at an event or talk to Mrs Beaumont in the School Office. For regular keen helpers we also have a Facebook Messenger group – please ask us if you would like to join – the more, the merrier!
How much do FOMS raise and what does it get spent on?
Each year FOMS raise money and consult with the school Headteacher on where funds raised should be spent. Over recent years money raised by FOMS have paid for:
- touchscreens for classrooms
- projectors for Year R and Year 1 classrooms
- a new projector and screen for the hall
- money for each class budget
- 15 digital cameras
- playground ‘trim trail’ equipment
- electronic school hall black-out blinds
- year 6 leavers hoodies
- and much more!
For more detail on spending and money raised, open the following document:
Easyfundraising – helping fundraise the easy way!
To help us fundraise, an easy way you can help is by buying your usual shop through EasyFundraising! To find out how to do this, follow the instructions below:
- Head to https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mereworthcps/ and join for free.
- Every time you shop online, go to easyfundraising site first to find the site you want and start shopping.
- After you’ve checked out, that retailer will make a donation to your good cause for no extra cost whatsoever!
There are no catches or hidden charges and Mereworth CP School will be really grateful for your donations.