Please click this post to view the information regarding the current vacancies at Mereworth.
Teaching Assistant Apprenticeship
Brief overview of the role
A great opportunity as a Teaching Assistant Apprentice within a fantastic rural Primary School. The Apprentice will also complete a Level 2 in Support, Teaching and Learning. Opportunity to work one to one, following onto other classes and years.
Working week – Monday to Friday – 8:45am-3:15pm (Contracted full-time with annual leave across certain half-terms.)
Total hours per week: 30.00
Weekly wage – £124.50 (Wages explained)
Expected duration – 13 months
Possible start date – 01 Jun 2020
Apprenticeship level – Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Reference number – VAC001627867
Positions – 2 available
To work alongside teachers to support teaching and learning, providing general and specific assistance to pupils and staff under the direction, guidance and direct supervision of the classroom teacher.
- Work with individuals or small groups of pupils in the classroom under the direct supervision of teaching staff and provide feedback to the teacher
- Support pupils to understand instructions support independent learning and inclusion of all pupils
- Support the teacher in behaviour management and keeping pupils on task
- Support pupils in social and emotional wellbeing, reporting problems to the teacher as appropriate
- Prepare and clear up learning environment and resources, including photocopying, filing and the display and presentation of pupils’ work and contribute to maintaining a safe environment
Teaching Assistants in this role may also undertake some or all of the following:
- Record basic pupil data
- Support children’s learning through play
- Assist with break time supervision including facilitating games and activities
- Assist with escorting pupils on educational visits
- Support pupils in using basic ICT
- Invigilate exams and tests
- Assist with pupils’ personal needs including toileting, hygiene, dressing and eating, as well as help with social, welfare and health matters, reporting problems to the teacher as appropriate. Physically assist pupils in activities (may involve lifting, where mobility is an issue)
Requirements and prospects
- Previous experience of working with children
- Numeracy and literacy skills
- Basic IT skills
- To be a successful team member who contributes effectively to the school including promoting the school ethos, vision, aims and values
- To effectively organise and manage classroom resources and learning programmes for the child to follow under the direction of the class teacher
- Be an effective classroom teaching assistant who is an excellent role model for the children
- To provide a positive learning environment
- To provide effective support to meet the needs of the class
- To deal with children with warmth, care and understanding, setting clear and appropriate boundaries and standards of behaviour
- To communicate orally and in writing at a level of skill necessary for the job
- Use ICT competently for teaching and personal purposes
- Have excellent time management skills
- No previous qualifications required
- GCSE-level education would be desirable
- Possibility of a full-time role within school
- Could complete a further apprenticeship at a higher level
Things to consider:
- Informal visits essential and any time after Monday 20th April onwards. Please contact the school to get a feel for your potential workplace!
- If successful, the school will contact you to request an interview at their premises.
About the employer
Mereworth Community Primary School is a popular village school situated between Maidstone and Tonbridge. The school is a vibrant, single form entry situated in wonderful grounds which are used extensively to enhance the delivery of the curriculum. The school building is a mixture of Victorian, 1960’s and modern rooms. We have indoor learning zones which includes a library, a music room, computer room and a design & technology room. We have extremely supportive parents and governors and wonderfully caring, polite and well-behaved children.
39 The Street